The Sacramento Autistic Spectrum and Special Needs Alliance (SASSNA) is excited to announce the second session of Taal. Taal, which translates to "rhythm" in English, is a series of no-cost, recreational and educational dance classes designed with the mentally-diverse student in mind.
Over a period of eight weeks, students will have fun learning dance routines in a variety of styles. While learning dance skills will be an element of the classes, the most important goal is for students to have fun! Students of all kinds and all skill levels are welcome to participate. There will be no pressure on any student to master dance moves. Just enjoy yourself! The classes will be taught by a handful of wonderful UC Davis students with significant backgrounds in professional-level dance and these teachers will be supported by the expertise in mentally-diverse youth of professional SASSNA staff. The classes are designed to have students dropped off and then picked up at the end of class, but limited space for adults to observe classes will be available.
Our first session of classes was a success; here are the details for our second session:
- Classes will be each weekend for eight consecutive weekends, starting this weekend! Classes will primarily be on Sunday but there are two weekends where the class is on Saturday instead. All classes are from 3:30P to 5:00P. The class dates are: Sunday March 19th, Sunday March 26th, Sunday April 2nd, Sunday April 9th, Saturday April 15th, Sunday April 23rd, Sunday April 30th, and Saturday May 6th.
- Classes will be located in studio 1 at the Sierra 2 Center at 2791 24th Street, Sacramento, CA 95818. The studio is located in a secondary building that is behind the main Sierra 2 Center building. There is a parking lot located in between the main building and the secondary building. If spaces are available, this lot is a convenient place to park or to drop off students. If you are in the main building then you will exit the building through the rear and walk through the parking lot to get to the secondary building. If you have problems finding studio 1, or any other issues on the day of classes, then you may call our staff member Dave Gaines's cell phone at (916) 416-3113 for assistance.
- Classes will be for ages 10 through 16.
- There are no fees for the classes. (Voluntary donations are welcome. Please consider making one. SASSNA is a 501c3 organization.)
- Students should wear comfortable clothes that they can move easily in, and wear tennis shoes or any type of sneakers. (Students will likely spend time dancing with and without shoes on. Students needing modifications from our dress code will be accommodated.)
- SASSNA invites all types of mentally-diverse youth to participate in Taal. SASSNA will attempt to provide all accommodations necessary for a student to successfully participate.
- Students must be enrolled in the classes in order to participate (enrollment form is below). Classes are not intended for walk-ins. Classes are capped at a limited amount of students.
Questions about the Taal program should be addressed to SASSNA. Our contact information can be found here.
To enroll a student in the second session of Taal classes, please complete and submit the enrollment form below. Please only enroll a student if the student will attend at least most of the classes. After submitting the below enrollment form, a SASSNA representative will contact you as soon as possible by phone in order to confirm your enrollment.
Session Two Enrollment Form
A parent/legal guardian must attend the beginning of the first class in order to complete a couple required documents regarding their student's participation in the Taal program.
Enrollment is now closed.